So you want an easy way to send classy-looking emails to your Prayer Team, Outside Supporters and/or Launch Team? For years Constant Contact has been the big kid on the block, but my new favorite is MailChimp.
Why Do I Need a Newsletter Service?
You need one for several reasons, and they all come back to the CAN-SPAM Act, enacted by the US Congress to reduce the amount of spam in everyone’s inbox.
- Major email providers like Google and Yahoo! keep a blacklist of known spammers; you don’t want to be on that list
- An easy way to get on that list is to send a mass newsletter-type email from your personal account to hundreds of recipients. Red flag!
- Another easy way is to routinely neglect to include these elements in your email, all required to comply with CAN-SPAM:
- Physical/mailing address of sender (that’d be you)
- One-Click opt out
- You need a reliable way to honor opt-out requests so you don’t send unwanted emails
How it Works
A Great Example
Here is the newsletter that comes out religiously from a great church in Albuquerque: